Saturday, January 30, 2010

CTR Towel



This is a baptism gift for a boy in my Primary class (children's Sunday school). I teach the eight- and nine-year-olds. This particular group is so sweet - and hilariously entertaining. In a good way. :)

The CTR shield is a symbol children of the LDS faith are well familiar with. It stands for "Choose the Right." I'm not going to get all sentimental and preachy here - I'll post more than enough of that when my own boys are baptized, I'm sure! But I do want to let C. know that I'm proud of him for all the good decisions he's made and I wish him and his family the best for a beautiful baptismal service.



Many thanks to Rachel Berry's friend Hilary for the CTR towel idea. A tutorial and the text of the attached poem are available on Rachel's blog.

For more information on my faith, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh thanks R. Non-sewer that I am, I will definitely attempt one of these this week. J is also getting baptized along with C. It's a fantastic BOY gift.

    Did you print yours up 8.5x11 size? Or did you make it 12x12? (Can't tell from the photo the exact size).

    If my attempt doesn't work out, I will call you to have you custom sew one on-the-fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8.5 x 11. I think larger would be fantastic, but I didn't want to try piecing together the pattern.

    One thing I did differently - I thought the shield shape/line was too thin. (Hoping my vague descrition isn't too confusing.) I followed the printed line when cutting along the inside of the shield. But I made the outer edge of the shield wider by cutting 1/8-1/4" parallel to the printed line.

    If you make this, I hope you post it. :) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete